We are very excited to announce that with the generosity of Federated Insurance and the Federated Challenge, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Minnesota has a new scholarship available for current and former Littles and High School Bigs! This scholarship for up to $5,000 is for students to attend a non-four year education or training program at an accredited Minnesota postsecondary school that focuses on obtaining an apprenticeship, certificate or associate’s degree. Funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, and other necessary expenses related to the particular program or training (e.g. tools, materials, cookware, etc.).
Applications for scholarships are currently closed and will reopen August 12, 2015 here:https://www.scholarsapply.org/bbbsmn with a deadline of Thursday, October 1, 2015. This scholarship will continue to be offered with application deadlines two times per year.
Applicants to the Federated Challenge Scholarship must:
- Be a current or past Little Brother or Little Sister or High School Big Brother or Big Sister for a minimum period of 18 months prior to the application deadline date.
- Have been matched through one of the Minnesota Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies: BBBS of the Greater Twin Cities, BBBS of Central MN or BBBS of Southern MN.
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Have attained a high school diploma or GED (or will have graduated prior to the term for which the scholarship application is being submitted).
- Be enrolled or plan to enroll part-time or full-time in a non-four year program at a trade, technical or community college or another accredited Minnesota postsecondary school to obtain an apprenticeship, certificate, or associate’s degree.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2015-2016, which covers July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016. Please note this scholarship is not based on financial need, so if you do not qualify for free or reduced lunch, you are still eligible to apply for this scholarship if you meet all other criteria.
Interested students may fill out the online application individually, but are encouraged to contact Megan Palmersheim, College & Career Coordinator (email@example.com or 507-414-0308) for assistance with filling out the application and with any questions.
To see more information from the Federated Challenge and their generous sponsors please click here.