COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS
From Little dreams to Big bright futures.
Conversations with youth about their future may seem daunting at first: career paths, college choices, internships, etc. There’s a lot for youth to think about, but being matched through Big Brothers Big Sisters gives Littles, and their Bigs, access to many resources. We make it fun, easy, and meaningful for Little's to explore their future.
- Jaclyn Salewske, Site-based and College & Career Readiness Coordinator at BBBS of Southern MN, specializes in college & career guidance for Littles. Bigs & Littles can reach out to her for things like:
- One-to-one career/college guidance
- Job shadow opportunities
- Scholarship preparation
- Anything else college or career related
- When Littles or High School Bigs are seniors in high school, they may be eligible for the Federated Challenge Scholarship, which awards thousands of dollars to high school graduates every year.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southern Minnesota plans Career Exploration Activities every month, typically for Littles ages 12+ and their Bigs. Usually hosted by a local business, these activities show Littles what it’s like working in a certain career field. Check out our Match Activity Calendar to see upcoming events, including Career Exploration activities.
- Coffee Talk is a popular monthly activity for Littles ages 12+ and their Bigs. Matches meet at a local coffee shop, enjoy a free drink, and chat with each other. We provide conversation starters that engourage future-oriented discussion.