AVID is a college and career readiness class that helps students strengthen their basic skills and reinforces habits that will make students more successful in the classroom and beyond. In addition, students will have the chance to do community service, visit colleges, and explore college and career opportunities. Big Brothers Big Sisters provides 8th grade AVID student in Faribault, Owatonna, and Waseca with a mentor and friend.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Each mentor (Big) is matched with an 8th grader (Little) based on compatability, availability, preferences, and interests.
- Bigs and Littles meet virtually one-to-one every other week for 30 - 40 minutes.
- During their meetings, Bigs and Littles will follow structured activities planned by the AVID teacher. There is no need for Bigs to prepare anything!
- Bigs commit to mentoring for at least 2 academic years.
WHEN DO AVID BIGS & LITTLES MEET?
- Bigs & Littles in Faribault AVID meet every other week, Wedensdays, 9:30 am - 10:00 am OR 11:00 am - 11:30 pm
- Bigs & Littles in Owatonna AVID meet every other week, Wednesdays 1:40 pm - 2:10 pm
- Bigs & Littles in Waseca AVID meet every other week, Mondays 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
- NOTE: to accomodate different schedules, it is an option for Bigs to be matched with a Little in a different city.